Samasati Retreat and Rainforest Sanctuary
American Way magazine called it a ” Jungle Gem”. This Hotel sits in the heart of a 250 acres Conservation Project & Biological Reserve. Overlooking the Caribbean and some of the best beaches of Central America, Samasati has been a pioneer of Sustainable Tourism as well as one of the first Yoga lovers destination in Costa Rica.
Samasati Retreat & Rainforest Sanctuary hosts world class guest artists year round to share their gifts, crafts, practice and wisdom. In addition, retreat groups flock to the mountain perch above the sea for the perfect combination of nature, class space, attentive staff and on and off site excursions. Check out the web site for offerings that range from yoga to writing to mandala art creation.
An ideal destination for couples, families, solo travelers or groups, Samasati's amenities include rainforest casitas or guest houses, hiking trails, waterfall with natural swimming pool, gourmet vegetarian buffet meals served in an open air restaurant, daily yoga and meditation, shuttle to Puerto Viejo and beach, spa treatments including massage, thai yoga, cacao body scrubs and more!
SomaVeda™ Thai Yoga Training and Retreat
At Samasati Retreat and Rainforest Sanctuary, Costa Rica
August 20-30, 2017
SomaVeda™ provides the tools for healing, transforming and balancing the mind, body and spirit. We use the whole person to heal the whole person.
This training offers in-depth, authentic and traditional Thai Yoga classes (also known as Nuad Boran) that engage students with a deep understanding of this ancient and sacred modality of yoga therapeutics.
Experience ten days within the heart of the Costa Rica rainforest in an intensive and supportive training environment. Daily practices in hatha yoga, meditation, pranayama and journaling frame Thai Yoga course material to create an atmosphere for personal growth and self understanding throughout the training process.
About Your Instructors
Alex Ryberg and Elizabeth Gross are graduates of the 1028 HR Advanced SomaVeda™ Thai Yoga Instruction Program from the SomaVeda™ College of Natural Medicine and Thai Yoga Center in Brooksville, Florida, USA. They each have over five years of hands-on private practice experience and have taught trainings in SomaVeda™ Thai Yoga all over the world: Ohio, New York, California, Florida, Ecuador and now Costa Rica. They both have completed 500HR Advanced Yoga Training and regularly teach Hatha yoga courses in Cincinnati and New York.
About Samasati Retreat and Rainforest Sanctuary
Samasati is situated near the border of Panama in Costa Rica and nestled on 250 acres of beautiful protected rainforest.. Samasati provides students with three vegetarian meals daily and restorative accommodation, with ample space for nature exploration and self care.
SomaVeda™ Thai Yoga Integrative Therapy is a comprehensive system of holistic healing comprised of several core practices, including Traditional Thai Yoga, Thai Ayurveda, and EFT-BET Bio Tapping.
This training is a partner program to the SomaVeda™ Thai Yoga 200HR Certification Course and will provide Certification in Levels 1 & 2 of the full Somaveda™ 200HR: Fundamentals of SomaVeda™ Thai Yoga and Ayurvedic Thai Yoga, respectively.
Visit the Thai Yoga Center's website for partner program details.
About Thai Yoga
Thai Yoga is often referred to as “Thai massage.” SomaVeda™ practitioners confidently refer to this core modality as “Traditional Thai Yoga,” recognizing it as an ancient and sustainable form of yoga therapy for body, mind and spirit dating back over 2500 years.
Traditional Thai Yoga combines various positioning (asana) into a singular flowing sequence (vinyasa) that brings energy and consciousness to the whole body of practitioner and receiver alike. Techniques such as thumb and palm pressing, tractioning and decompressing, assisted stretching and guided breathwork lend to many recognizable benefits, including and not limited to:
- decompression of the skeleton and joint space
- stimulation and healthy circulation of bodily fluids
- increased flexibility
- lengthening of the spine
- detoxification of soft tissue
- lymphatic drainage
- reduced stress and anxiety
- reduced pain and inflammation
- increased energy movement
The primary outcome of SomaVeda™ Thai Yoga is rooted in the Indigenous and Buddhist Philosophical concept called “Promiwiihan Sii.” or the four boundless states of mind: Love, Compassion, Joy and Equanimity. A SomaVeda™ Thai Yoga session is considered successful so long as these states are conveyed. This approach to conscious yogic therapy holds the potential to change individual lives, and our modern world, dramatically.
About Course Curriculum
This 10 day training will certify students in 70 contact hours of over 150 Thai Yoga postures and techniques.
Focus on transitions that allow you as practitioner to flow from posture to posture supports a feeling of easeful dance rather than technical application. Develop general understanding of Thai Ayurvedic anatomy, EFT-BET for emotional balancing, and the History of Traditional Thai Yoga.
Level 1 - The Fundamentals of SomaVeda™ Thai Yoga
- Introduction to the SomaVeda™ model of learning, called the flow technique. This technique allows students to develop muscle memory and emphasize easeful transitions, and is one of the hallmarks of the SomaVeda™ System. The flow technique prepares the student for further, more advanced levels of training.
- Complete a vinyasa incorporating the key body positions (supine, side-lying, prone, second supine/abdominal emphasis,seated) that shape a general balancing session.
- EFT - BET Bio Tapping Basic Training
Level 2 - Ayurvedic Thai Yoga, The Southern (Royal) Method
- Build on Level One teachings to efficiently learn a flowing sequence of over 150 therapeutic postures that are a direct translation of the Traditional Southern Royal Method as taught at the Wat Pho/Wat Chetupon Temple. We honor Traditional Thai Ayurvedic Therapy by teaching the Thai Healing Vinyasa in their traditional form. We explore variations from three recognized schools teaching Southern traditional methods: Buddhai Sawan, Wat Po and Anantasuk.
- Advanced EFT - BET Bio Tapping Training
*This course provides NCBTMB Approved CEU's for Massage Therapists in the U.S.A
SomaVeda™ Thai Yoga provides the tools for real transformation. Join us for this 10 day training retreat in the heart of a Costa Rica Rainforest and thrive!
Kruu Alex Ryberg
The Thai Yoga Massage course is co-taught by: Kruu (Teacher) Alex Ryberg, RYT 500 & 1028 Advanced Certified SomaVeda® Thai Practitioner & Teacher. Alex has over 1,000 hours of hands on training and practice with clients in SomaVeda® Thai Yoga and 500 contact hours in teaching yoga, specializing in yin & Thai Yoga Massage.
Alex has studied with Aachan (Master) Dr. Anthony James for the last four years. Dr. James was the first individual from the United States to be ordained a master of Thai Yoga and initiated the Thai Yoga movement occurring present day.
REVIEWS FOR ALEX RYBERG:
1. Alex was very composed during class. Her presence had a calming effect during class which made it a very pleasant learning experience. Her instruction was clear and insightful. She also was a very empathetic listener to the all of the concerns that would come up during class. She was a true diplomat, treating all the students with respect and doing so with grace. She greatly contributed to the effective use of time in the classroom, invaluable to all the students. Alex was excellent!
-Melanie Reupke, LMT, New Orleans, LA SomaVeda Student
2. Dear Alex, As you know, I am very impressed by you and your approach to Thai Yoga Massage.
My friend Matthew was also delighted with your work. He was struck by the spiritual energy that you bring with you. He also found your work has a wonderful flow which allowed him to relax deeply and release a surprising amount of tension in his body.
Matthew and I have each had pale versions of Thai massage before. When Sharon Byrnes recommended you, it was easy for me to come to you because I trust her. Matthew was a bit afraid to come because of his previous negative experience. You quickly put him at ease.
I am so pleased to have found you and look forward to Jim Marks meeting you.
3. I began my work with Alex at a pivotal time in my life. I myself was suffering a tremendous loss and in the midst of unbearable grief. I consciously knew I needed to go on & be strong for my grieving family but I had no idea how to do that. Alex was nurturing, kind, loving, she gave me the space to feel safe & grieve in whatever way I needed. She is wise beyond her years - she is a true healer- combining EFT & Thai massage in her sessions, she is able to help guide both the conscious & subconscious into a state of calm & healing. She taught me the fundamentals of EFT & I feel competent in using EFT to help me work through an emotionally difficult situation. - Torie McSwiggin 4. Somaveda Thai Therapy is a game changer! The work Alex Rybergdid with me was a vital assistance to my recovery, and I now go back for a yearly tune up. I cannot recommend it, or her, enough! - Rev Joe
5. My experience of Thai Yoga Massage with Alex has been wonderful! From the beginning of our sessions, I felt Alex clearly explained the work that we were doing together. It has been such a joy to experience the body's natural healing and therapeutic tendencies through Alex's skillful, compassionate touch and words. Each session has allowed me to work more deeply with my body and breath, giving me the opportunity to release long held tension and deep physical stress in a safe, nurturing environment. I feel more spacious, both physically and mentally, after our sessions. I am in awe of Alex's deep dedication to personal growth and healing. And ever so grateful for it! - Layla Gilman See more photos and other events by this presenter