Yoga Teacher Training Course – level I (YTTC-I)
Yoga is a vast science. The practice of asanas, or postures, is the most commonly understood, but only one aspect of yoga.
Swami Vishnudevananda designed the Yoga Teachers Training Course to give ordinary people a deeper experience of this ancient science. You can view the full daily schedule of the YTTC on www.yogashowstheway.com as well as below.
In the course, you will have an opportunity to practice yoga asanas, relaxation, cleansing techniques called kriyas, pranayama, or the science of breath, and breath control, and guided meditation. In addition to this, you will have an opportunity to practice selfless service and learn ancient scriptures.
While we all would like to arrive at the destination, we have to follow a process, and also undertake a journey before we can arrive there. For good health, or mental concentration, or a way of life which is satisfying and fulfilling, we have to take appropriate steps. First the body has to be cleared on impurities, and the mind has to be cleansed of disturbing thoughts. In the one month, with a specially controlled diet, fresh air, serene surroundings, a relaxed and peaceful environment, mentally and emotionally aligned gathering of like-minded people, educative lectures on Vedanta and yoga philosophy, highly trained teachers and guides, and the practice of pranayama, asanas and relaxation, you slowly become meditative, your health improves, and you have perception of a better way of life.
The course gives you the methods, the knowledge and the understanding on how yoga can become a practical way of life.
This four-week course offers a profound personal experience, designed to build a firm foundation of inner discipline and provide the proficiency to teach yoga to others. The essence of yoga is learned through a combination of repeated practice and inspirational lessons. The approach to teaching is personal, focusing on the individual student. Among the many benefits students report are increased strength and flexibility, greater spiritual awareness, improved power of concentration, enhanced self-esteem and a new found sense of self-discipline, proper breathing, proper relaxation, proper diet, positive thinking, and meditation.
6 June – 4 July 2015
Pops Hotel, Village Chachian, Palampur Tehsil, (Dharamasala)
District Kangra, Himachal Pradesh, Himalayas, (INDIA) PIN 176059 (please see travel and location details below).
- Yoga Asanas • The sun salutation and the twelve basic yoga postures • Advanced variations • Effects of asanas on the physical and astral body • Proper posture alignment, deep relaxation, release of blocked energy • Benefits of Yoga Asanas
- Pranayama • The basic practices: kapalabhati, anuloma viloma (alternate nostril breathing) • Advanced pranayama exercises
- Kriyas • The six classical exercises for purifying the body
- Hatha Yoga Theory • The astral body • The nadis (energy channels) and chakras (energy centers)
- How to Teach
How to teach the sun salutation and the twelve basic postures • Setting up a proper environment for class • The basic class • How to teach beginners and intermediate students • How to teach children, the elderly, and prenatal yoga • How to correct a student doing Asanas
- Yoga Philosophy and Psychology • The four paths of Yoga: Karma Yoga (selfless service), Bhakti Yoga (the path of devotion, including attendance at devotional rituals); Raja Yoga (mind control), and Jnana Yoga (the path of wisdom and realization). • Psychology of the spiritual aspirant • The law of karma • Kundalini yoga
- Anatomy and Physiology • The effects of hatha yoga practices on the major body systems
- Yogic Diet and Nutrition • Influence of diet on the mind • Proper diet • Nutrition according to Ayurvedic guidelines • Ethical, health and spiritual reasons for vegetarianism
- Meditation • Twelve-step guideline to meditation • The benefits of meditation • Mantras, mantra-initiation (if requested)
- Kirtan (Chanting) • Positive effects of chanting on the emotions • Correct pronunciation and mental attitude • Learning classical Sanskrit chants
- Bhagavad Gita • Study and commentary of the classical scripture
05:00 am Wake up
05:30 am Meditation, chanting and lecture or silent walk
07.00 am Tea time
07:30 am Asana and Pranayama class
09:30 am Brunch
10.15 am Seva time – selfless service (60 mins)
11:30 pm Bhagavad Gita/Chanting class
1.00 pm Tea time
1.30 pm Main Lecture on philosophy
3:30 pm Asana and Pranayama class
5:30 pm Dinner
7:30 pm Satsang (meditation, chanting and lecture or special program)
9.30 pm Lights out
- Attendance at all activities is mandatory. Changes in the program may occur from time to time
- There is one day off in a week. Students are required to attend morning and evening satsangs and to complete their Seva duties. The rest of the day is free for their personal study and activities.
- Sivananda Training Manual – by Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centre
- The Complete Illustrated Book of Yoga – by Swami Vishnudevananda
- Bhagavad Gita (with commentary by Swami Dayananda Saraswati)
- Meditation and Mantras – by Swami Vishnudevananda
- The Sivananda Chant book - ISYVC
*The above mentioned texts are included in the course donation.
- Sivananda Companion to Yoga - by Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centre
- Sivananda Beginners Guide to Yoga – by Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centre
- Yoga Mind & Body – by Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centre
*The above mentioned texts are available for purchase in the ashram boutique
Assessment and Certification
The students are continuously assessed throughout the course at all levels. There will be a written exam at the end of the course to evaluate the understanding of the philosophy of Yoga and skills of the students.
Assessment is based on:
- Regular attendance of all classes
- Written summary of the main philosophy classes and hatha yoga theory classes
- Attitude and behaviour inside and outside of the ashram while attending the course
- Performance and attitude in the practical asana, pranayama, bandhas and kriya classes
- Hatha yoga teaching skills
Upon successful completion of the course students receive the Certificate of the Sivananda Yoga Centr Gurgaon.
This training course fulfills the requirements for the Yoga Alliance 200-hour certification, for which graduates of the program are invited to register.
This course is open to all students who wish to deepen their knowledge and application of some of the highest teachings of yoga. Participants do not need to be yoga teachers. Mastery of any yoga practice is not necessary… only your sincere desire for knowledge and your commitment to personal growth.
- Twin sharing $2400
- Single occupancy $2900
There is a subsidized fee for Indian nationals. Kindly check with us for details.
How to apply
Please download the application form from the website www.yogashowstheway.com, attach a photograph and all details including signature, scan it and send it back to us. Kindly also submit a minimum, non-refundable deposit of $200, to reserve your place in the course. The balance can either be paid immediately, or by latest 18 May 2014.
The ashram has 45 beds for students and another 10 more for staff.
Admission is on a first come first served basis.
To maintain the sanctity of the campus, we accommodate guests on the following conditions:
- No consumption of alcohol & non-vegetarian food
- No smoking either on campus or outside while undertaking the course.
- Should follow the yogic way of life while in the ashram.
Pops Hotel and Sivananda Yoga Centre, Gurgaon reserve the rights of admission.
Anyone found not following the ashram rules, at any time during the course, will have to vacate the ashram property.
The main meals are provided daily at 9.30 am and 5.30 pm.
The food is based on the Indian tradition. Menus are vegetarian, simple, nutritious... and good tasting! Prepared with love and care according to yogic dietary principles, two buffet style, lacto-vegetarian meals are served daily. Absent from the menu are meat, fish, fowl, eggs, garlic, onion, mushrooms etc.
A cup of tea is available at 7.00 am and 1.00 pm!!!
If you have any questions about the course or the ashram please contact
8.00 am – 8.00 pm Indian standard time – (international callers add +91)
arun 9810645850; deeksha 9818865306; anita 981155549
email – firstname.lastname@example.org
International Yoga Teachers' Training Course 6 June – 4 July 2015 Palampur, Dharamasala, Himalayas, India Leads to a RYT 200 international yoga certificatio