This pilgrimage tour focuses on the healing arts, rituals, cultural and spiritual traditions in the Kathmandu Valley.
SORRY . . . REGISTRATION IS CLOSED FOR THIS TOUR
March 21st — April 1st, 2015
Cost: $2950 (based on double occupancy, airfare not included).
Extended deadline: January 16, 2015
Single supplements available. Limited to 10 participants.
Surrounded by the majestic crystalline peaks of the Himalayas (known as the abode of the gods and goddesses), we will immerse ourselves in the ancient tantric Newari, Tibetan Buddhist, Hindu and shamanic traditions. We will encounter various emanations of the Buddha, the deities—Tara, Vajrayogini, Saraswati, Shiva, Vishnu, Parvati, Durga, Kali, Lakshmi and lesser known goddesses and gods in their benevolent and fierce manifestations in animist and aniconic forms at their numerous shrines and temples. We will learn the ancient Charya dance with a world-renowned master and receive instructions in the playing of singing bowls by an expert in sound healing. We will receive a personal audience with Kusali Devi, one of the Thirteen Indigenous Grandmothers, a 'deoma' (healer) and emanation of the goddesses Hariti and Ajima and the kumari (living virgin goddess) of Patan. Our days will be spent visiting shrines and temples including: the Newari Buddhist temple site Swayambhunath (affectionately called the Monkey Temple... monkeys congregate on the steps), Pashupatinath, Hindu temple to Shiva and where the burning ghats are located, Boudhanath, home of the Tibetan monasteries and Stupa, Bhaktapur, ancient village known for its pottery, Patan, for its exquisite metal work and thangkas, Kirtipur, a remote ancient village resplendent with shrines and temples, and Pharping to pay homage to the self-emanating Tara, shrines to Vajrayogini and Guru Rinpoche. Our expert guides will explain the esoteric rituals, masked dances and iconography that we encounter. The tour includes a 2 day mountain retreat in Nagarkot with all organic meals included. There will also be a sufficient amount of free time for personal practices and exploration.
Overall, this pilgrimage journey is designed to appeal to those interested in mysticism, Eastern spirituality, the arts and personal transformation. Artists, spiritual seekers, healers, as well as beginning and advanced practitioners of meditation, the dharma or yogic practices are especially encouraged to join this year's 'Nepal Mandala' tour.
• Deluxe hotel accommodations for 12 days and 11 nights (based on double occupancy). Limited single room supplements available. Our hotel was built by a contemporary of Frank Lloyd Wright and offers full views of Swayambhunath, considered the most holy site in Kathmandu Valley. It also offers a library, theater, dance pavilion, beautiful landscaping, art gallery, massage therapy, organic garden, fine restaurant and rooftop bar.
• Full breakfasts in Kathmandu and all organic meals in Nagarkot.
• All ground transportation, including airport pick-up.
• Entrance fees to all temple sites (Durbar Square, Bhaktapur, Pashupatinath, Kirtipur, Pharping, Boudhanath, Swayambhunath, Bigeshwori, Patan).
• Tours by local scholar from Tribhuvan University on the tantric traditions of Nepal.
• All tips for guides and drivers.
• Private audiences with 'deoma' (village healer), Kusali Devi of Kathmandu and the Kumari 'living goddess' of Patan.
• Teachings and meditation at Kopan Monastery.
• Sacred dance lesson by a world-renowned master instructor of the ancient Charya tradition.
• Instructions in healing with singing bowls by expert sound healer.
• Two nights mountain retreat in Nagarkot (with grand views of the Himalayas and including all organic meals).
• Farewell dinner.
Tour Leader: Yana Castle, Ph.D. holds a doctorate degree from California Institute of Integral Studies where she concentrated on Consciousness studies, Eastern religions and indigenous healing methods. She has a Master's in Women's Spirituality and a B.A. in Archaeomythology. As a longtime Tibetan Buddhist practitioner, Yana has been offering tours to the tantric Buddhist, Hindu and shamanic sites in Kathmandu Valley since 1998.
Limited to 10 participants.
Extended deadline: January 16, 2015.
For more information visit: www.skydancer.byregion.net or call 510 809-6575.
Hope you will join us. Namaste!
NEPAL MANDALA: A Pilgrimage Retreat to Kathmandu. Explore tantric Buddhist and Hindu sites, sound healing, sacred dance, meditation. www.skydancer.byregion.
Yana Castle, Ph.D.
Yana Castle, Ph.D. has been offering tours to Kathmandu Valley since 1998. She holds a doctorate degree from California Institute of Integral Studies where she concentrated on Consciousness studies, Eastern religions and indigenous healing methods. She has a Master's in Women's Spirituality and a B.A. in Archaeomythology. Yana is a longtime Tibetan Buddhist and Bon practitioner with expertise in the Vajrayana path, meditation and yogic practices. She is also the author of "Guardians of the Gate, An Investigation of Numinous Presence, 'Visions of the Divine,' in Dreams" (Lambert Academic Publishing, 2009) and contributor to various magazines that focus on health and spirituality. As a Certified Clinical Hypnotherapist and personal growth counselor, Yana maintains a private practice in the San Francisco Bay Area.See more photos and other events by this presenter