Sivananda Ashram Yoga CampThe International Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centres is a non-profit organization which, for over 50 years, has been sharing the teachings of classical hatha yoga and Vedanta (yogic philosophy) as a means of achieving physical, mental and spiritual well being and self-realization for all.
Over 26 thousand teachers have been trained through the organization. The organization is named after Swami Sivananda who in his lifetime, was responsible for promoting the philosophy of Yoga and Vedanta in India. He was also the founder of the Divine Life Society, still in existence today, and the author of more than 200 books. His legacy was carried on by Swami Vishnudevananda who brought the teachings to the West.
The Yoga Camp
Swami Vishnudevananda was sent by Swami Sivananda in 1957 from his Ashram in Rishikesh, Himalayas, to bring yoga to the West. After travelling extensively in the Far East and the USA, Swamiji settled in Montreal in 1959 and established his first yoga centre there on boulevard Saint-Laurent, where it remains to this day.
During the summer weekends Swami Vishnudevananda noticed a considerable drop in class attendance, as people left the city to enjoy nature in the countryside. He devised the concept of a Yoga Vacation and held his first Yoga Camp in 1961 in nearby St Hippolyte. The Camp was a resounding success and an increasing number of visitors spent their weekends practicing yoga under his guidance. He realised the need for a permanent base and was drawn to Val Morin, nestled in the ancient Laurentian mountains. In February 1962 the present site of the Yoga Camp was established. Students worked tirelessly to clear the land and in the summer of that year the Sivananda Ashram Yoga Camp was opened. See more events in this venue
DescriptionYoga Camp 2013-14 Mission: To provide a balanced, structured educational and experiential program for mid-term Karma Yogis (staff) that will help develop a sense of community, as well as an understanding of the purpose and practice of karma yoga. Teachers will support, inform and guide participants in their personal yoga practice. Requirements:
- Students should be 16 years of age and older (with parental permission for minors). Everyone 16+, regardless of previous yoga experience, age or fitness level is invited to apply.
- All Temporary Staff must have a valid Health Card (Canadian residents) or Travel Insurance (foreigners).
- All Temporary Staff must come for a 2 weeks Work Study as a trial period before getting approved.
- Temporary Staff will be asked to pay a suggested donation of $200 monthly + $150 weekly for the 2 weeks Work Study.
- Accommodations available: Tent (June, July and August) and Dormitory (rest of the year)
- 5:30 am : Wake Up
- 6:00- 7:30 am : Satsang (Meditation, Chanting, Lecture)
- 8:00-10:00 am : Yoga Asana Class
- 10:00-11:00 am : Breakfast and Dishes
- 4:00- 6:00 pm : Class
- 6:00- 7:00 pm : Dinner
- 8:00- 9:30 pm : Satsang (Meditation, Chanting, Lecture)
- 10:30 pm : Lights Out
: Sivananda Ashram Yoga Camp
Product tickets info unavailable