Sushumna YogaWelcome to the Sushumna Yoga. Welcome to India, the birthplace of Yoga. The country of spirituality. The Land of Diversity.
We conduct classes, Teacher Trainings & workshops in Assagao & Workshops and YTT'S abroad.
All our residential programs are conducted at different resorts in Goa, other places in India & abroad.
Goa has the perfect temperature especially during the months of October through to April, (find your favourite season to visit Goa) here.
Goa is always evergreen with it's beautiful deep green sea, breath taking sunsets, silvery sands, glorious forests, flora and fauna, a wealth of cultural heritage, stunning churches, and historic temples, a true paradise to practice the essence of yoga.
Sushumna Yoga School was founded by Sonja Appel. Initially for 3 years in Delhi, then In 2008 she moved to Goa and set it up there with her partner Gita Sahni.
Sonja grew up in Zimbabwe and London. She pursued a career in the performing arts and acting, later teaching and doing workshops in acting and doing theatre in education (T.I.E). Seventeen years ago she started a regular daily yoga practice. Her first teacher was Cathy Louise Broda who inspired her to pursue the path of teaching yoga too. Three years after this she went to Mysore, India to study with Guruji - the late Shri K Pattabhi Jois. After her initial stint of three months with him at his school, she made up her mind, to one day make India her home. This materialised finally in 2005 and she has never looked back as India offers her the perfect place to embrace a yogic lifestyle.
Sonja has a B.A. in Classical Theatre and Acting and an M.A. in Contemporary Dance. She has devised a unique Yoga Teacher Training, through her constant love of learning which never stops and firmly believes that it is the only one that offers a grounding in all the different aspects of yoga styles: Hatha, Vinyasa Flow, Ashtanga, Kundalini, Iyengar, Pranayama, Meditation and Restorative. This is achieved with the help of four other diverse and highly experienced teachers.
Sonja also conducts workshops in Ashtanga, Sushumna Vinyasa Flow Yoga, Sushumna Restorative Yoga, Sushumna Pranayama & Meditation, Mysore self-practice, Yogalates and Pilates, Free-style Dance & Method Acting Techniques nationwide and abroad.
See more events in this venue
"India is the cradle of the human race, the birthplace of human speech, the mother of history, the grandmother of legend, and the great grandmother of tradition. Our most valuable and most instructive materials in the history of man are treasured up in India only." Mark Twain, American author
Sushumna Yoga Teacher Training is affiliated and accredited by Yoga Alliance.
Is Sushumna Yoga Teacher Training right for you?
* Are you earnest about taking on board a methodical journey to becoming a teacher;
* Looking for new ways to enhance your teaching skills;
* Or even, just wish to develop more of your own personal practice;
* Do you want to be taught by very experienced and highly respected teachers in their field
If the answer is yes to any of the above? Then you will gain the fundamental tools to go deeper in your practice and teach accurately in your own unique way, both grounded in self-awareness and experiential knowledge.
Our approach is inclusive and not dogmatic. We encourage all of our students to discover their practice and orientation through their own experience and enquiry. Therefore, we welcome applicants from all orientations and stages of yoga.
During the programme, you will study hard, increase your self-awareness, submerge yourself in a yogic lifestyle and cultivate friendships and lasting ties with your teachers and fellow students.We train dedicated Yoga Practitioners to teach confidently and safely, arming them with age old lessons of self-discovery. We particularly encourage our students to find their own unique teaching style as the course unfolds. Here is the breakdown of what you will study.
Teacher Training comprises Five Key Elements:
• Rigorous development of your own Asana practice, including essentials of Pranayama and Meditation.
• Comprehensive foundation in Yoga Philosophy.
• Good grounding in Anatomy and Physiology and its application in the practice of Asana.
• Teaching expertise including Articulation, Presenting skills and the Art of Adjusting.
• Essential insights into the Yoga Business and setting up as a Teacher.
On graduation you will receive the following certification:
• Certificate of Completion from Sushumna.
• Eligibility for Yoga Alliance (YA) USA, RYT 200 (recognized internationally).
• Eligibility through us to register with Yoga Alliance International (India & Internationally based)
(if you complete all the requirements).
The course will give you:
• An emboldened, self-aware knowledge that will enable you to teach Level 1 asana classes confidently and competently.
• Awareness of safe practice for both teacher and student, through modification and sequencing of Asanas to suit an individual’s body.
• Self-confidence and belief in your ability to communicate and demonstrate.
• Understanding of risk assessment.
• A thorough grounding in the history of yoga.
• Insightful awareness of your own practice: both an acceptance of its limits and the tools to evolve.
• An experiential foundation of yoga philosophy and how to integrate this into your life.
• An awareness of the issues that can arise for you as a teacher.
• A professional and ethical framework from which to practice.
Teaching methods include: Lectures, experiential classes, led classes, small and large group work, practice teaching time that will be filmed and constructive criticism given after viewing, exercises for learning and discovery and a review of homework.
What is unique on our training course:
• Daily Mysore self -practice as taught by Shri K Pattabhi Jois, Mysore, India & Sushumna Vinyasa Flow.
• The course is not integrated with drop-in classes or other students not on the training.
• Video support to help you improve your teaching skills.
• Green juice fast days (once a week) *70% raw / living food.
• Working with 5 experienced, international and multi-diverse teachers.
• Encouragement in assisting/apprenticing after the course with the lead teacher.
• Good, practical knowledge of yoga therapy & Ayurveda
* A foundation in Kundalini (in 300+ hrs)
• Training Manuals and valuable literature.
Investment: 315 Hours RYT 200
GBP 2,300 including:
- High quality training with 5 very experienced, international teachers, all who are recognized in their field, plus training manuals.
- Accommodation in a beautiful resort, on a double sharing basis.
- All meals: breakfast, lunch & dinner (Gourmet Vegetarian/Vegan food, green juice fast days & 70% living food).
NEW: special non-residential (accommodation excluded) offer - GBP 2,000 including:
- High quality training with 5 very experienced, international teachers, all who are recognized in their field, plus training textbooks.
- All meals: breakfast, lunch & dinner (Gourmet Vegetarian/Vegan food, green juice fast days & 70% living foods).
"A path on the way to rediscovering that we come from Enlightenment" YTT 315 Hours Level 1 (RYT 200) Led by Sonja Appel, assisted by 4 other teachers
: Sonja Appel
Sonja started her journey in yoga with the late Shri Pattabhi Jois from Mysore. Learning the authentic mysore self practice of Ashtanga Vinyasa. She is certified by the 'British School of Yoga' in Hatha & Meditation & also certified as a 'Vibrant Living Teacher' in Hatha Flow. Having studied intensely, mainly in India, then London she believes that 'living yoga' in it's essence helps to impart her knowledge better and more succinctly. She started practicing yoga eighteen years ago and has sixteen intensive years of experience teaching yoga. She is also registered with Yoga Alliance, E-RYT 200. She has taught over 10 000+ hours of Yoga & Teacher Training.) Sonja has devised her own practice in yoga called ‘Sushumna’ which is a carefully worked out vinyasa flow, meditation or pranayama, that allows one to do the practice as a meditation and in the process, this helps to unleash within ourselves, all of our innate, kundalini Shakti. The flow is spontaneous and she mixes up the asanas in interesting ways, with the help of inspiring music, always ending with a deep relaxing meditation (Yoga nidra). As in Ashtanga - drishti, bandhas, ujjayi breath, counting & vinyasa is always employed.
"I believe in a holistic approach to the study of yoga, giving people a well-rounded yoga education. I combine alignment techniques of the body, with breath techniques for calming and balancing the mind. Focus and visualization, to balance the body and brain. Chanting and music for inspiration and concentration. Meditation (the ultimate reason for the practice of asana). "The philosophy behind the practice of postures has to relate to a wider focus on all the 8 limbs of a proper yoga practice."
Sonja keeps up with a daily Mysore self-practice as taught to her by her late Guruji, Sri K Pattabhi Jois of Mysore and her own practice of Vinyasa Flow. Sonja's Teachers are from all over the world and have greatly helped and influenced her, they are: Shri Pattabhi Jois, Sharat Rangaswamy, Saraswati Rangaswamy, Shri Sheshadri, Cathy Louise Broda, Leela Miller, John Scott, Edward Clarke, David Swenson, Claire Best, Anna Ashby, Daniel Aaron, Simon Borg Olivier, Rolf & Marci Naujokat, Emil Wendel (yoga philosophy), Yat Malmgren (movement psychology), Mercia Hetherington (Ballet) and Imogen Claire (Ballet). She has a B.A. in Classical Theatre and Acting and an M.A. in Contemporary Dance. She comes from a professional performing arts background and has found yoga disciplines to be invaluable in balancing and maintaining calmness in her life. Sonja is a writer and has a certificate of Yoga Philosphy from Oxford University. Read her blog here
Sonja also condu.cts workshops in Ashtanga, Sushumna Vinyasa Flow, Restorative Yoga, Mysore self-practice, Ashtanga Vinyasa Flow & Sushumna Pranayama & Meditation, acting & dance in India & Internationally.
Sonja does not believe in organized religion or dogma. See more photos and other events by this presenter