Camp Victory is a non-denominational, non-profit organization. We are part of Children’s Bible Ministries (CBM), which is ministering in nine states and has its national office in Townsend, Tennessee. We are located in Hacoda, Alabama, near the Florida state line.
Camp Victory exists to help young people experience the victory that comes from knowing the Lord Jesus Christ as Savior and walking with Him. We do this by working alongside local churches in providing opportunities for Christian camping, Bible classes for local schools and Bible correspondence lessons.
Our purpose is to help young people know the Lord Jesus Christ as their personal Savior, to help to equip them to grow in the Lord and to be effective members of their local churches. The Bible is taught as the Word of God and the authority for faith and conduct.
In 1935 Mr. Walter Jensen, a graduate of Moody Bible Institute, founded Children’s Bible Mission in response to his burden to reach boys and girls with the gospel. His method was to go into the public schools and teach God’s Word, motivating the children to learn and memorize Scripture by offering as an incentive the opportunity to attend summer Bible camp. That first year 47 children earned the privilege and 16 accepted Jesus Christ as their Savior. The work of CBM Ministries, as it later became known, quickly spread from Florida to Pennsylvania, reaching thousands of boys and girls through the public schools.
The ministry of CBM in South Alabama began in 1942 when Miss Bea Ames and Mrs. Althea Hooker started a work in Dothan, Alabama. Mr. and Mrs. Eugene Hedger joined in 1943. Soon Miss Hope Wells joined Miss Ames in ministry. For about 17 years, they would rent a camp to accommodate the children who were memorizing Bible verses. In 1952, Jonas and Ruth Miller moved from Pennsylvania to South Alabama. They were sensing the Lord’s direction to a ministry here. Mr. Miller joined with CBM as a school visitor and soon saw the need for a camp. He bought a farm in Hacoda, Alabama and offered land to CBM for a camp. The CBM National Board of Directors accepted the offer of land and made Jonas the director of the Alabama Division with the responsibility of building a camp. Many people prayed, worked and gave. Mr. and Mrs. John Yoder were very helpful in developing the camp, and it was Mrs. Yoder who suggested they use the name Camp Victory. The Lord blessed all these efforts and Camp Victory opened on June 26, 1961.