Chapel House is a sanctuary and spiritual retreat center open to all who wish to use it for study and contemplation. We welcome guests of any religious affiliation or none, visitors who travel from down the street or across the globe.
Chapel House belongs to and is administered by Colgate University. It operates on endowment funds, which must cover expenses without requiring any help from other university funds.
Additional gifts toward its programs are welcome, but they must be anonymous, in keeping with the pattern set by the original donor.
Chapel House opened its doors in 1959. The space was designed by Skidmore, Owings, and Merrill, and is an example of late international-style modernism.
Our guests choose to stay at Chapel House because it provides the space and resources necessary for intellectual, religious, and spiritual pursuits that are often marginalized in daily life. The only schedule for guests centers around meal times. The rest of the time is to be used according to individual initiatives and interests.
We provide a setting for the study of great religions and personal spiritual exploration. The environment is conducive to the meditative and devotional disciplines recommended by great religious teachers.