At the East West Sanskrit Institute Shanta and Indira Bulkin offer Sanskrit classes, workshops and retreats with an emphasis on experiencing the language as a tool for meditation. They take joy in creating a relaxed learning environment for students of all ages and backgrounds. Whether students want to learn to pronounce asana names correctly, chant verses with the proper rhythm, or dive into grammar, they are happy to share any part of the language.
Indira and Shanta Bulkin founded the East West Sanskrit Institute in the spring of 2010 to further the work of their teacher, Shri Brahmananda Sarasvati (also known as Ramamurti S. Mishra M.D.) Shri Brahmananda was a highly respected teacher of Yoga and Vedanta who used the teaching of Sanskrit as a tool for transformation and meditation.
Our Mission Statement
- To share the joy of the Sanskrit language.
- To continue the tradition of learning and teaching Sanskrit with a
strong emphasis on chanting.
- To offer students an opportunity to experience Sanskrit study as the
“Science of Vibration,” a tool to calm the mind and facilitate meditation.
- To expose students to the long and rich heritage of Sanskrit literature,
which has been handed down for millennia.
- To create an environment that supports and respects people with
different learning styles.