The Mission Renewal Center provides themed retreats, space for private retreat guests, and a place for groups to hold their own retreats and meetings.
The Santa Barbara Mission was established on the Feast of Saint Barbara, December 4, 1786 and was the tenth of twenty-one California Missions to be founded by the Spanish Franciscans.
More than 200 years later, the Mission continues to be the chief cultural and historic landmark in the city of Santa Barbara. Home to a community of Franciscan friars, the Mission also has a retreat center with guest rooms, conference rooms, and a fully equipped commercial kitchen and dining room; a beautiful church with a large and active parish; a museum and gift shop; a cemetery and mausoleum; and ten acres of beautifully landscaped gardens.
The Mission’s commanding position and grand proportions, graceful lines and soft, blending colors all reinforce her title, “Queen of the Missions.”